VIOLENT chaos has erupted across the city of Charlotte for the second night in a row as protestors clash with police over the fatal shooting of a disabled black man on Tuesday (Sep 20).
Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed by police searching for a different man with an outstanding arrest warrant after claiming he exited his vehicle holding a handgun.
Officers said they warned Scott to drop the weapon multiple times before firing the fatal shots that killed him.
However, Scott’s family allege that the disabled father-of-seven had only been carrying a book, hinting that police may have placed a handgun in Scott’s car in order to justify his killing.
“He sits in the shade, reads his book and waits on his kid to get off the bus,” Scott’s sister told reporters.
“He didn’t have no gun, he wasn’t messing with nobody.”
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said the 43-year-old first got out of his car with a gun but then returned to his vehicle when officers told him to drop the weapon.
He was shot after he emerged from the car holding his weapon for a second time, although Putney said he was unable to say if the gun had been pointed at officers.
No book was found at the scene, he added.
Elsewhere in the city, a man is fighting for his life in hospital after a “civilian on civilian” shooting, police said.
It had been reported that the unnamed protestor was killed in the shooting, but city officials instead stated that he is in a critical condition.
Several journalists were also attacked during the second night of